Friday, January 8, 2016

2015 - It happened

I'm desperate to leave behind 2015 and move on, but there's one final piece of business to take care of: the dreaded review. Let's start high-level and then drill down.

My mileage will never be impressive, but I can always strive for more. I was actually on track to beat last year's total by a couple hundred until October, November, and December happened. I wound up a mere 4 miles short of last year's total (1136 vs. 1140), based on Strava and Garmin's flawless accounting system (right, Jonny?). It's not much, but it's still better than any other year since 2002.

If we look week-by-week, there are lots of peaks and valleys. I was able to fill in some of the valleys with cycling and other activities (roller skiing!), but a few were filled with nothing but tears. Two such weeks were during the pre-move mayhem in August, when I was consumed with moving logistics and work. The others were at the end of the year, after sustaining running and cycling injuries in rapid succession.


Now, on to the 2015 goals.

Goal #1: Stay injury-free: FAIL
I probably would've given myself a pass until the Achilles injury happened in October after running too many hills, too hard, too soon. I blame California. 

Goal #2: Sub-4:30 mile: FAIL
I didn't train for the mile nor race one on the track. In fact, the only mile I ran hard was at the final WTAC fun run (4:43). I was happy with the time, but it's still a missed goal.

Goal #3: Sub-16:21 5K: PASS
Somehow, I ran just two road 5Ks in 2016. The first was an underwhelming performance at the Super 5K in February, but I turned in maybe my best race of the year in the second, running 16:17 at the Battle of Stonington for a road 5K PR.

Goal #4: Sub-47 Li'l Rhody: N/A
I'll go easy on myself and waive this goal, since I was no longer in RI for my favorite race.

Goal #5: Sub-21:30 4 miles: FAIL
I ran just one 4-miler, and it was on a tough course in Bridgton, ME. The 21:43 there wasn't quite fast enough.

Goal #6: Win 4th Season Trail Series; PASS
I achieved this, but with some caveats, of course. First, it was actually a tie with Eric Lonergan. Second, he missed one of the races (so did I, for that matter, so maybe it evens out). Third, Greg Hammett let me win one of the races after I took a wrong turn. If not for his gentlemanly gesture, there'd be no victory here..

Goal #7: Run more miles than in 2014: PUSH
I was four miles short per Strava, but that's within the margin of measurement error, so let's call this a push.

Goal #8: Complete a century ride: FAIL
Nope, never went for this. My longest ride was just short of a half-century.

Goal #9: At least one race in the Gunks: N/A


The two races I was targeting were post-CA move, so I missed my chance.

Goal #10: 20 consecutive pull-ups: FAIL
I made it up to 18 in a row by August, but the move wrecked this one, too. Without a bar in the house out here, I got lazy and weak. 

So, what do I want to fail to accomplish in 2016? Let's keep the list simple this year:
  1. Run more miles than in 2015
  2. Get and stay injury-free
  3. Sub-1:16 half-marathon
  4. Sub-16 5K
  5. Jump and touch a 10-ft rim (this was inspired by Greg's blog. Who knows what's after this. Maybe a two-handed dunk in 2017??)
  6. 20 consecutive pull-ups
  7. More data analysis!
Despite all of the goal misses, I had a great time training in 2015. Some highlights include:
  • Completing my first triathlon in 10 years - 2nd place at Block Island (thanks to Jeff and Tommy for the motivation)
  • WTAC fun runs with and without strollers and friends to help push them (Tommy and Mike)
  • Ragnar Relay domination with the awesome Foolproof team
  • New deer fly murder PR: 40
  • Exploring the amazing trails around my temporary home in California
  • Epic training weekend with childhood friend Mike. Running/biking around Block Island, video games, and more. I'll never forget it and will never grow up.

Finally, some other stats:
  • Highest mileage week = 41 miles (8/3 - 8/9)
  • Lowest mileage week = 0 miles (11/16, 12/7) - Achilles pain
  • Most hours run/bike in week = 8:56 (+30 min roller ski) (5/11 - 5/17) - Bike to Work Day, two lunch runs with Jonny, and a long ride with Jeff and Tom
  • Longest run = 14 miles (7/24) - Blessing of the Fleet race + wu/cd
  • Most climbing on a run = 2709 ft (7/5) - Baldface Mtn in Maine
  • Longest ride = 47 miles (11/7)
  • Most climbing on a ride = 4419 ft (11/7)
  • Number of races = 14 (1st place -3 times, 2nd place - 3 times, 3rd place - 5 times, plus a team win at Ragnar)
  • Number of states/commonwealths/territories run in: 11 - I don't love traveling, but it is fun to explore new places. Lots more to come in 2016...
Here's to a better year in 2016!

10 comments:

  1. I haven't read your post yet, but you used the same subject that I used for my 2014 YIR! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must have subconsciously loved your title, because I never would have knowingly used the same wording as you of all people...

      Delete
  2. Nice write-up. I love your charts as well as seeing your hilly runs in CA. Here's to a healthy 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are one of your 17 degrees a Bachelor of Graph/Chart Production? You continue to wow me.

    Nice job on the write-up and running too, I guess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make those charts as much for you as for myself.

      Delete
  4. Oh good lord.... things I had never considered to measure, all displayed perfectly. You had a good year! And your yearly running graph is super awesome, what a commitment to keep track of all that data for nearly two decades! Sad that a century ride isn't on the 2016 goals, they are pretty freaking awesome! Enjoy the year ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A century ride may be just another weekend adventure to you, but it's Mount Everest to me. Maybe someday. And thanks for mentioning that my running career has spanned two decades. I hadn't thought of it in those terms before!

      Delete
  5. Despite your injuries and various ailments, you definitely had some outstanding performances in 2015. You are scary good at pretty much every aspect of endurance racing. Hope you stay healthy in 2016 and knock down some PRs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice recap as always, Chris. And timely (for you, I consider anything within two months of an event as "timely").
    The graphs are great. I tried to export my run data out of Strava (my only bible)for the year, but couldn't find a way to do it.
    Thanks for drinking the Kool-Aid and coming to the BI Tri. Always a great time. And next time in soft high sand I'm going to beat you on the run!
    Glad to hear you still refer to southern CA as your "temporary" home.
    I would consider the deer-fly deaths to be self-defense instead of murder.
    Finally, please never grow up (although it appears you're not even close to growing up, so I'm not really worried).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wouldn't be a Jeff Walker post without a little snark, but you know I like it. Thanks for the comments!

      Delete