Thursday, January 22, 2015

2014 Year in Review

This post is as far behind as my mileage is for the year, and the two are not totally unrelated. But this is a topic for the 2015 year in review; let's instead focus on the year of honor: 2014.

2014 was a good year. I thought it could go from good to great if I went out with a bang. My idea was to run each of the last eight days of the year. To most of you, running eight straight days is something you do every eight days or so, but I hadn't done it since 2002. So how did it go? Not well. I was struck by a cold on Day 2, but I soldiered on. By Day 4, I felt awful, but it couldn't get much worse, could it? Day 5 was a 12-mile trail run, and I spent the rest of the day curled up under blankets on my son's beanbag chair. I called it at five days -- the longest running streak I've had in 11 years, but still a failure. I didn't run on any of the remaining days of the year, as the cold became bronchitis, and that is how I ended 2014 and started 2015. (In fact, the bronchitis lingered and turned into some kind of tertiary infection last week. 2015 is off to a terrible start, but let's get back to last year...)

While I wasn't injury-free in 2014 (two ankle sprains and a knee injury), it was my highest mileage year since 2002. That says as much about the ordeals of the interceding years as it does about the consistency of training this year. There are two reasons for this year's relatively high mileage. (Please note that I said, "relatively." I am well aware that my mileage is pathetic and pales in comparison to the mileage of many of this blog's seven or eight readers.) One is that I minimized time off to recover from the injuries. Having previously had identical ankle sprains and knee injuries to the ones I had this year, I knew what worked before and what didn't. In the past, I'd probably been too conservative in returning from those injuries. This year, I went to the other extreme. I took off just 3 weeks for the ankle sprain instead of 3 months, and 2 weeks for the knee injury instead of 8 months. So, while my knee and ankle still hurt, I am running (and hoping this isn't a short-term win at the expense of my long-term health).

Annual mileage since 1998. 2013 and '14 mileage taken from Strava; all other years from running logs.
Now, let's talk goals. I was feeling pretty positive about the year until I looked back at the goals I'd set out to accomplish. Here's what failure looks like:

Goal #1: Stay injury-free: FAIL
As mentioned, I suffered two bad ankle sprains and a recurrence of an old knee injury. These were all preventable. My ankle brace is 100% effective; I just need to wear it consistently. The knee injury was a direct result of racing 7 times in 7 weeks and going on a long run well beyond my capabilities. I need to be smarter this year.

Goal #2: Sub-2:00 800: PASS
I just got under 2:00 (1:59.90) at the USATF Masters Championship in March. 

Goal #3: Sub-4:30 mile: FAIL
I was training for the mile when the first ankle sprain occurred, and I ended up never running one in 2014.

Goal #4: Sub-16 5K: FAIL
I matched my best 5K time from 2013 (16:21) but never got any closer to breaking 16.

Goal #5: 10K PR: FAIL
I never ran a 10K in 2014.

Goal #6: Sub-47 Li'l Rhody; FAIL
47:01 - So close but still a failure. 

Goal #7: Get in triathlon shape: FAIL
I probably got into decent duathlon shape, but I didn't swim a single time all year and have no intention to do so in 2015.

Goal #8: Get strong: FAIL
I got stronger, but not strong, during the first quarter of the year. I was routinely lifting weights and dragging rocks around the yard, but that all stopped with the ankle sprain, and I never picked it back up.

So, what do I want to fail to accomplish in 2015? Here's the list, with some repeats and some newcomers:
  1. Break 4:30 for the mile
  2. Break 16:21 for the 5K, with a stretch goal of breaking 16
  3. Sub-47 at Li'l Rhody
  4. Sub-21:30 for 4 miles
  5. Win 4th Season trail series
  6. Run more miles than in 2014
  7. Complete a century ride with the gang
  8. Run at least one race in the Gunks (my hometown mountains)
  9. Do 20 consecutive pull ups (this is motivation to get my upper body into shape)
Despite all of the goal misses, I had a great time training in 2014. Some highlights include:
  • Rekindling my relationship with the track. I didn't enjoy every moment of every track workout, but it was exhilarating to sprint around the oval again.
  • Running in far off places -- Hawaii, California (wine country, San Francisco, and LA), and Florida
  • Exploring new territory close to home -- Hillsdale, DuVal/Browning side trails and connectors, School Landwoods, Carolina, spots along the drive from RI to Boston
  • So many great group runs and rides. I got dragged along for the second longest run and second longest ride of my life. The fact that they were on consecutive days probably wasn't too intelligent, but it was still a memorable experience. I continue to be grateful for the company and camaraderie of the WTAC.
  • Killing deer flies. They're the worst.
  • Running faster for all repeat races (see table)
Race
    2013    
    2014     
% improvement
4 on the Fourth
23:13
21:53
5.7%
Run 4 Kerri
21:56
21:40
1.2%
Bridge 2 Bridge
28:40
27:59
2.4%
 Li'l Rhody Runaround 
47:54
47:01
1.8%

Finally, some other stats:
  • Highest mileage week = 38 miles (12/22 - 12/28)
  • Lowest mileage week = 0 miles (3 times - 5/12, 5/19, 9/1)
  • Most hours run/bike in week = 7:50 (8/11 - 8/17)
  • Longest run = 17 miles (8/16)
  • Longest ride = 50 miles (8/17)
  • Number of races = 18 (1st place -5 times, 2nd place - 5 times, 3rd place - 3 times)
On to 2015!

7 comments:

  1. Great recap, Chris! And despite the fails on the list, you still had a damn good set of race results...what is that, something like 70% in the top three? Either way, looking forward to running with you in 2015!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I was thinking this AM I should do a recap as well. Now I don't want to...yours is too nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited to run with you in 2015. As always, your charts/graphs are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christ almighty (as my maternal grandfather would say) and I say -- are you freaking kidding me? suck it up princess, you bested me (discounting my middle aged female status - just go with it a win is a win, right?) in all but mileage, but then I can't read the details so maybe you bested me there - but hey I'm a girl, so no surprise there!!) Anyhoodles. lighten up Frances and enjoy the run and the camaraderie. Looking forward to your race recaps in 2015!! Seems like you are on an uptick since 2010 and back to reliving those college years!!! (on my side I'm preparing my liver to relive those college years, that may kill me, so if I'm not here for the 2015 recap - you did brilliant, dude and please send your address I have a baby sweater to mail you)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Lighten up, Francis" - I love that line and use it on Matthew that when he's too serious.

      Delete
  5. ^^^^^like Beth said
    Great year Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice write-up, even after deducting points for the late submission. Impressed that you kept mileage charts since '98. I've also gone with just relying on Strava - much easier.
    I had to think about those 2 consecutive days of "2nd longest run, 2nd longest ride" - was that when Katie was away and you when you explained to her that you ran 17 miles, she said something to the effect that she was "so sorry to hear that"?!
    Disappointed you dropped the tri goal, but count me in on your group century quest.

    ReplyDelete